E3 featured Nintendo Direct yesterday, and there's so much we need to unpack. From game announcements to other Switch reveals, Nintendo didn't disappoint one bit.
Today's Drop is a ~5 min read!
Nintendo Direct Overview
If you haven't heard about the Nintendo Direct during E3 yet, we've got you covered! Before E3 started Nintendo announced that the direct at E3 was going to focus on the games coming out in 2021. After today’s presentation, they delivered game after game for 40 minutes with all of them, except one, with a 2021 release date. They showed new ports, remasters, and games. Looking at all Nintendo showed, there is a game for everyone. Here are the main announcements and news from the event:
- Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild has an official sequel in the works. This long anticipated piece of news was music to the ears of fans who've been waiting for an update. The last announcement for the game was 2 years ago, and has since left fans hungry for more. While we can bet that most of us haven't come anywhere close to finishing the first game, we'll still be ready to hop into the second one the moment it comes out. The trailer shows Link soaring through the sky, running through fields, and fighting some pretty epic monsters and trolls. The art already looks absolutely fantastic, and so do the animations and enemies. The first one was a massive success, so we have high hopes for this one.
- Advance Wars 1+2 Reboot Camp. This turn-based war game from the same team as Fire Emblem looked fantastic with upgraded graphics and gameplay will arrive December 3rd.
- Super Monkey Ball: Banana Mania. This franchise from the GameCube is rolling onto the switch on October 5th. It comes with 3 games with enhanced graphics and gameplay.
- Game and Watch - Zelda edition. On November 12th, you can get a special Game & Watch which has the original Legend of Zelda, Adventures of Link, Link's Awakening, and Vermin.
Some Fun DLC
- Kazuya from Tekkan in Smash. We knew another Smash character would be revealed today. He had an incredible introduction, and we did not get too many specific details. We will get more information on him on June 28th.
- Doom Eternal: The Ancient Gods Part 1. The DLC for the Doom gets his extra content today!
- Metroid Dread is coming on October 8th. The Metroid series is one that always needs some more love. There is always rumors about it coming, but today they announced a new 2D side scroller. It looks incredible.
- Warioware: Get it Together. This fun Wario themed mini game collection has a release date for September 10th. Zoom around as a mini character and play games like pushing toothpaste out of a tube. This will be similar to the DS's Mario Party mini games, such as the one where you try and see how fast you can slice a cucumber.
- A new Mario Party coming on October 29th. Bringing the best boards and mini games from past Mario Party titles, Mario Party Superstar is looking to be the best one yet. The game is essentially a stitched version of some of the past Mario Party games. It will include over 100 minigames, and full online capabilities from the start and regular button controls that give us a lot to look forward to.
With that, E3 is coming to a close. We have seen games to get us excited in the second half of the year and beyond. Hopefully you all found a game you cannot wait to play.
Shanghai Dragons Find Their Fire, Winning The Overwatch June Joust
The Shanghai Dragons went against the Dallas Fuel in this year's Overwatch June Joust. The Dragons dropped 1-3 midway through their series, but were able to pull a reverse sweep against the Dallas Fuel, winning the tournament 4-3. Fuel maintained a dominant composition throughout the series, but the Dragons were able to respond extremely well.
The first two final matches for Lijiang Tower and Volskaya looked identical to the Dallas Fuel’s original 3-0 win against Shanghai earlier in the series. While the Dragons had a few good attacks, the Fuel’s cohesion was too strong for them to handle. Both maps went to Dallas in a dominant fashion. The Dragons maintained a lot of strength and had some fairly strong attacks, but Fuel kept a strong cohesion that ended up to be to much for the Dragons initially.
The Shanghai Dragons didn't give up that easily though, and played the Fuel in Busan in Dallas’ own game. They tried a different strategy this time, playing a variation of their opponent's North American “neo-GOATS” meta, barely beating them.
In the next match with map Eichenwalde, both teams needed to completely flip around all their heroes if they wanted to win. Initially, the Dragons had a rough time on this map, but a quick, miraculous shove at point B led to a total completion for the team. Shanghai got the Fuel down to overtime quite often on their final rounds, and were able to hold Dallas before the final point to succeed each time
The very last match on Junkertown was one to remember. Both teams had rough, vicious battles and attacks that left the other bruised and beaten. An assertive defense from Dallas kept the Dragons on their toes, but it wasn't enough to stop them once the Fuel's attack turn came up. With mastery of the meta that would have been incomprehensible at the start of the series, Shanghai held the Fuel before point B and brought home the June Joust championship. Shanghai was able to use their opponents own meta and learn the ins and outs. Using this newfound expertise, they once again held the Fuel before point B and won the championship against their strong opponent. Check out the entire match here.
The Shanghai Dragons brought home a whopping $100,000 in prize money and three “league points,” which will be factored in during their postseason standings. The Dallas Fuel, got two league points and $70,000.
E3 Award Winners 2021
As E3 comes to close, here is the list of some awards and winners for this year's event:
- Ubisoft Most Anticipated Game: Mario + Rabbids: Sparks of Hope
- Gearbox Most Anticipated Game: Tiny Tina's Wonderlands
- Xbox/Bethesda Most Anticipated Game: Halo: Infinite
- Square Enix Most Anticipated Game: Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy
- PC Gaming Show Most Anticipated Game: Songs of Conquest
- Future Games Show Most Anticipated Game: Immortality
- Intellivision Most Anticipated Game: Dolphin Quest
- Most Anticipated Indie Game: Falling Frontier
- Freedom Games Most Anticipated Game: Airborne Kingdom
- Capcom Most Anticipated Game: The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles
- Nintendo Most Anticipated Game: Breath of the Wild 2
- Most Anticipated Yooreka Studio Game: Loopmancer
- Best Presentation: Xbox and Bethesda Showcase
- Most Anticipated Game Overall: Forza Horizon 5
That's a wrap for E3. It was awesome, and we're pumped for all the new games, features, and equipment to come!
Daily Drop Credit: Anam, Carmine, Mark, and the Founders.